Baja inspired Fish Tacos

Take.me.fishin'MI.Girl

Staff member
STCA Member
Follow-up post from:
http://www.safishingforum.com/threads/packery-channel-march-5th-2017.4862/#post-42426

Here are the fish tacos from my sheepshead and flounder catches on Sunday. Kept it simple - fillets were seasoned with salt and pepper then lightly pan-fried in coconut oil. Topped with red cabbage, my homemade cilantro-lime sauce and queso fresco crumbles. I cheated and bought tortillas. The tortillas are mezcla (corn and flour fusion - tastes like a corn tortilla but has the texture like a flour tortilla-good stuff if you've never tried them!)

20170308_182439.jpg 20170308_181015_20170309053521672.jpg

All measurements are estimations since I never typically measure anything when I cook or create recipes.

Dairy-free Cilantro-lime sauce:
1 - Bunch of cilantro
2 - limes; freshly juiced
Half of an avocado
3 Tbsp - Mayo
1/4c - 1/2c of milk substitute (ie: almond, rice, cashew, quinoa milk etc)
Salt to taste
Your favorite tortilla (corn is traditionally used)
***If you are new to the area, most HEB stores sell freshly made flour and mezcla tortillas near the bakery; select stores may even sell fresh corn ones?
Chachos and Mama Margies also have fresh ones.***

Add all ingredients into blender or smoothy maker like: ninja, vitamix or bullet
Puree until smooth
Pour over tacos (you can even put it on chicken enchiladas, fries, chicken nuggets and it's even good with tortilla chips!)

Variations:
Beer batter or tempura the fish and fry it.
For a light and crispy Tempura batter:
Take a chilled (metal) bowl add 4 parts flour to 1 part corn starch and salt to taste. Add chilled seltzer water or club soda to the mix until just before you reach your desired consistency then add a handful of crush ice to keep the batter chilled throughout the frying process. Dip seasoned fish into flour (light dusting only) then batter and fry at 350°F until golden brown.
**I learned these tips from an owner/executive chef from a restaurant in Austin that I met at an Asian Grocery store a few weeks ago. AWESOME! AND SO EASY!

Add: you can add grilled or oven roasted: tomatillos, poblanos, serranos or jalapeños to the sauce. Grilling or oven roasting adds depth to the flavor profile

Substitute: Mexican cream, heavy whipping cream or sour cream (you can thin out sauce with splash of milk if desired) for Mayo & almond milk

Other Garnish ideas: diced cilantro, squeeze of lime, diced tomatoes, Pico, green cabbage, shredded cheese or sliced avocado.

I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I do!

Happy bellies fellow foodies!

:playboy:
Erika
IG & Fishbrain: MI-Reel-Therapy-Girl

Take.me.fishin'MI.Girl

Staff member
STCA Member
Smoked fish is awesome too. I have an electric smoker and have smoked some fish. I am going to have to look into pickling bologna.
I craved pickled ring bologna when I was pregnant with my daughter and my friend back home sent me a big jar of it. Sooo good. My Texas native husband isn't a fan. I miss poutine and fresh cheese curds.

Take.me.fishin'MI.Girl

Staff member
STCA Member
I love cheese curds too. What is poutine?
Crispy fries with fresh cheese curds on top and covered with a turkey/brown gravy. It's a Canadian thing but you can find it in northern Michigan. There is a pub near the quarry that has them but I've never been. Some of the HEB stores sell cheese curds too, but it's hard to find them down here.

hey 'Mi.girl, how long does it take to make these tacos cuz if it takes more than 30 min.(i might go 45min, they look good), i probably won't try them but they look like tacos from Rosarios'. it takes me about 25-30 min. from start to shoving in my mouth to make my tacos. Professional looking pix as well. :winner:

Take.me.fishin'MI.Girl

Staff member
STCA Member
hey 'Mi.girl, how long does it take to make these tacos cuz if it takes more than 30 min.(i might go 45min, they look good), i probably won't try them but they look like tacos from Rosarios'. it takes me about 25-30 min. from start to shoving in my mouth to make my tacos. Professional looking pix as well. :winner:
I'd say if you have all the ingredients, making the green sauce takes the longest only because I like to oven roast/broil the tomatillos and poblanos. 20 mins at most if you are good at multi tasking.