Brand new to trout fishing, any tips?

Fargas

So i've lived in San Antonio forever and never really picked up on the rainbow trout. i remember when i was younger and went to live oak they had a sign for them, but never caught one. give it maybe 10 years later they finally peaked my interest to catch. ive been doing all sorts of research from locations, bait, hook size, line, rods, stock dates and basically everything else. only thing is i still haven't gone yet. is there anything to note?

Generally what are some hot spots here for trout / best time? also, i saw on here it shows the stock date for this month to be the 18th, but on the tpwd site is the 15th for live oak (which is the closest to me btw). which is right?

to note, i have spinners, 6lb floro, a fly rod with some flies, powerbait knock off, size 8 hooks, and a nice trout rod that i use for panfish.

Hello there, LIve Oak is ok if you get there right after the stock or maybe the day after, any later and they are pretty much picked out. Lots of pressure for such a small pond.
I would suggest trying the Tailrace at Canyon if your looking for trout. The river offers a more true fishing atmosphere for trout fishing and its the area where the most are released. The crowds can be somewhat discouraging at times. For stocker trout it is the best option in my opinion. If your looking for something larger try in the trophy zones such at the Rio Raft area.
The best times for me have always been early morning and all of the baits you have mentioned should be fin, just need to find which one they prefer that day. I myself stay away from powerbaits and such with standard hooks just because I catch and release and its less chance of the trout swallowing the hook.
Good luck and tight lines.

EunLee

Look up the trophy trout zone in new braunfels. It starts near the White Water Amphitheater.

Small spinners, spoons, wacky rigged worms (bluegill sized soft plastic worms)

KEVIN VAN ALEN

Brackenridge Park , can be good along Bastrop state park. Flies. corn, powerbait will usually catch. My go too is the smaller Rooster tails on ultralight 4-6 lb. flourocarbon.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
I use barbless hooks and catch and release all days long. Even if they swallow the offering they will spit it up once u give some slack. As long as u keep pressure when fighting the fish u will have no problem. Good luck.

So i've lived in San Antonio forever and never really picked up on the rainbow trout. i remember when i was younger and went to live oak they had a sign for them, but never caught one. give it maybe 10 years later they finally peaked my interest to catch. ive been doing all sorts of research from locations, bait, hook size, line, rods, stock dates and basically everything else. only thing is i still haven't gone yet. is there anything to note?

Generally what are some hot spots here for trout / best time? also, i saw on here it shows the stock date for this month to be the 18th, but on the tpwd site is the 15th for live oak (which is the closest to me btw). which is right?

to note, i have spinners, 6lb floro, a fly rod with some flies, powerbait knock off, size 8 hooks, and a nice trout rod that i use for panfish.
thanks everyone, thats a lot of info
Did you ever go