Calaveras blues...again

Sgo1986

image.jpg

Caught a ride this morning with a buddy. I basically have copied his jugging method. But his jugs caught this 27.5lb blue lol. Great fish and good times. Always learning!

Sgo1986

I should be able to load a YouTube video as soon as it's uploaded. Still gotta put jugs in the right place, just like a Rod and reel with bait.

Sgo1986

Well, you should be in good shape to find whatever structure is on the bottom. I use a navionics app to show ledges and humps and holes. Give you a head start to start scanning. For the most part, the underwater terrain is the best structure.

I have the navionics app for my iphone and iPad for some time now.
Walked into academy one day and the 598ci was on sale for $249 so I just had to buy it. Right off the back I like the way it doesn't glare like the iPad does in the sun and it scans bait balls a good ways away from the boat.

Sgo1986

Yea that's a good deal man! I just have the lowrance 4x hdi. I just use it on split screen with the sonar and down scan. Then the iPhone for the navionics. Works pretty good.. I've had days where I can literally tell you when I'm about to catch one lol. It's taken some learning though.

Sgo1986

Look up OCD Guide Service on Facebook. He's the guide that puts us on these big fish. Here's the info on the jugs and the fish on them today.

Nice fish. Never really been a fan of jug fishing. I've always enjoyed the fight which is why I primarily use light tackle. But occasionally I do want to have a good fish fry with a large church group and worry about producing enough catch so I just buy it lol but running some jugs sounds worth a shot. Hope next trip to the lake we don't see 175 jugs run all around by every guy who saw this video and a chicken breast shortage lol.

Sgo1986

Everyone enjoys the fight on a Rod and reel, and I do too.. But I also love the sight of my cork going under, so the big jug bouncing around gets too me. Jugs are a lot of fun for kids as well. And they work as fish finders. And like mentioned, great for preparing for a fish fry. If the fight on a rod is a deal breaker, I usually keep a bait caster rigged up with a 1oz spoon. So when my noodle jugs are swimming around and I'm anchored up, I'll grab that spoon and cast it past the just and catch the main line. Now you got a fish on the end of your line lol. Still just feels like a catfish either way lol.

Thanks again for the info . I will try and post results tomorrow if this Rain stops . Now I have to go academy and Walmart to buy bleach jugs. I have a fresh water and saltwater tackle. Guess I need a jugline tote now lol

When I first started to get serious about fishing, I couldn't understand jug fishing. It just didn't appeal to me at the time. I thought rod and reel was the only way to go. I was on a fishing forum and I had made the TERRIBLE mistake of asking why on earth anyone would want to jug fish. Boy, you want to talk about backlash! Man, those guys tore me up!! Lol!! I felt like Snoopy when he was being chased around by the chair in the Thanksgiving special (picture the dog yipe!).
After humbly apologizing for my question, my buddy would run jugs on our fishing trips (Guide Cliff Hill). Rod and reel was the thing to do, but if we hit Canyon or any of the Guad lakes, he would set jugs out. I have to say that it ended up becoming a blast. Pulling up to a jug and pulling up that line, wondering if the line was going to just give really easily or if I was going to feel that pull. I'm still all about rod and reel fishing, but I've come to enjoy running some jugs at the end of our trip.
Steven

DrErk

Thats a great video! Thanks for sharing. I made a dozen jugs a year or so back and need to get them out on the water again. If only these rains would slow down...

Sgo1986

I've read that jugs are to only be placed north or the railroad bridges, and north of the power lines. However, the game wardens don't seem to Inforce that rule, I've seen jugs in the main lake for a long time now. I usually set them in the main lake on the week days when there is less boat traffic. Jugs in the main lake are out of the question, way too many boats.

the map at the office shows you can set them past power line and is says from the wall to the back /i asked the game warden and he told me the lines on the zones didnt make cents to a lot of people so he more or less keeps it in the main lake 100 ft out past the side the boat ramp is on /cause when jugs run off they can be from the dam to anyplace else /so it keeps peace with bank fisherman