Calaveras Fishing Report 5 May 16

MJ21

I went to Calaveras this past Saturday and did pretty good. Got to the wall around 10 am, bite was slow to begin. Used balloons and got bait out about 50-100 yds away fishing with head on shrimp from HEB (only bag so I snatched it up). Bait was 6-8 ft down. First bite came around 2:30. Caught a 27" red, followed by a 34", 21", and 19.5 (released). I lost 3 that spit the hook out during retrieval on shrimp and spoons. Also caught a 20" blue from a balloon as well.

2 gentleman were getting shad for bait and they relayed they were killing the cats using jugs between the Ridge and Power lines. They were only hitting the jugs on shad, no other bait was working for them.

One thing I would like to add is that the Game Warden was out at the lake. Didn't really give anyone a hard time, but his presence was all that was needed to keep everyone in check, which is good.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job! you guys really caught my attention the first time i saw Spot tail bass( what we call them in South Carolina) being caught in fresh water. I had to make phone calls back home to advise my die hard fishing family of what i am witnessing. They still didn't believe me so, i had to show website and take pictures(LOL). Fishing for Spot tail bass in South Carolina because they are plentiful, gets big and would give you the fight of your life. With that being said i do have a 2 questions, back home we fished for Spot tail bass during tidal stages example 2 hours of incoming and 2 ours of outgoing. We fished for them close to the banks by oyster beds or docks using finger mullet, head on shrimp or half a crab. My question is when is a good time to fish for them and what bait are you guys using?

DrErk

Great job! you guys really caught my attention the first time i saw Spot tail bass( what we call them in South Carolina) being caught in fresh water. I had to make phone calls back home to advise my die hard fishing family of what i am witnessing. They still didn't believe me so, i had to show website and take pictures(LOL). Fishing for Spot tail bass in South Carolina because they are plentiful, gets big and would give you the fight of your life. With that being said i do have a 2 questions, back home we fished for Spot tail bass during tidal stages example 2 hours of incoming and 2 ours of outgoing. We fished for them close to the banks by oyster beds or docks using finger mullet, head on shrimp or half a crab. My question is when is a good time to fish for them and what bait are you guys using?
Are you looking to catch them at Calaveras or Braunig or down near Port A or other places on the Texas coast? I'm no expert on redfish, but from what I've read on this site and others, they behave much differently in fresh water lakes - schooling up and running up and down the lake, than they do in the salt water southeast of us.