Calaveras Lake Wall

Sgo1986

hit the wall early and caught 2 fish... Then at exactly 10am they came alive! Feeding on anything silver in easy casting distance. Made for a fun couple of hours catching 15 total. I had set some jugs out to drift with experimental bubble gum for bait and sure enough a decent blue took the gum! Made for a fun morning on the water! image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MJ21

Sounds like another good day for u. I need to get away and do some fishing. Been about 2 weeks since I've gone and I need to make time to go out there and relax.

How has the wall been early lately as far as the crowd? I certainly don't mind fishing with people but not a fan when we get shoulder to shoulder lol. I was thinking about running out there early one day in the next few.

Sgo1986

I avoid the lakes on the weekends, so I wouldn't know honestly... Thursday it wasn't bad until everyone saw where the fish were biting and they all came running down to throw their lure. But the crowds are def smaller than early summer.... The wall has been tough the past few weeks... For awhile night time was the only time they would bite. Now it's just a narrow window during the day. It's just been a weird year for them.

KEVIN VAN ALEN

Sgo, where they actually blowing bubbles, and did you just have to pick them off the top of the water? I had a friend named Bubbles, he would fish the surf and have a great time , he usually go when it was the annual migration of the blowfish

Sgo1986

It was honestly bubble gum lol.. Still gunna try it out a few more trips on jugs lol. I mean I wouldn't use it in a tournament right now lol. But I have looked it on the Internet and there's other success stories with it. But it really was bubble gum that caught that fish.

KEVIN VAN ALEN

I dont doubt it a bit,just thought it was funny. Pink is a good color. They will eat soap good too ,google that. . I saw a show where these guys on lake MIchagan were downrigging little green Army men, they were killing them.

Sgo1986

Yea I've used that pink soap before on trot lines lol.. It's like chuming. The soap attracts them and I fish close too the trot line with other baits on rod and reel and catch them on the trot line. I had a few jugs with 2 hooks on them. One hook gum the other hook chicken and the gum caught the fish. However I did have a chicken hook completely missing.

Sgo1986

Yea when they are on at the wall silver is all you need and can catch until your arms are tired! I've caught most of my catfish now on chicken breast and a couple have been over 20lbs. We'll see how well this gum produces on days the Reds aren't biting that well.

KEVIN VAN ALEN

Hey on those silver spoons ,are the schools usually busting the surface when you catch or are they deeper with a little slower retrieve what do recommend about size? or weight . Thanks

Sgo1986

I use a 1oz Cordell spoon most of the time. They did hit a silver bomber slab really good too. And 1oz blue and chrome rattle traps were working great. 3/4-1oz lures get good distance and down too the bottom fast. When they are busting the surface, let it hit the water and instantly start reeling and twitching the rod. Like walking the dog with a top water lure. There's a lot more of the time they aren't hitting the surface but are still within casting distance. First cast I let it go too the bottom, then work it back slowly almost like a Texas rigged worm. Jigging it up and down. Then the next cast let hit the water and count to 20 and slow retrieve. Next cast count to 10. Just keep doing this until I start to get hits and then repeat lol.

I use a 1oz Cordell spoon most of the time. They did hit a silver bomber slab really good too. And 1oz blue and chrome rattle traps were working great. 3/4-1oz lures get good distance and down too the bottom fast. When they are busting the surface, let it hit the water and instantly start reeling and twitching the rod. Like walking the dog with a top water lure. There's a lot more of the time they aren't hitting the surface but are still within casting distance. First cast I let it go too the bottom, then work it back slowly almost like a Texas rigged worm. Jigging it up and down. Then the next cast let hit the water and count to 20 and slow retrieve. Next cast count to 10. Just keep doing this until I start to get hits and then repeat lol.
I was there yesterday, from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm the fish were there but not biting i tried everything (live tilapia, crawfish, silver spoon ) and nothing seem to work even tried with balloons ( never done it before ) and not a single bite, it was Very frustrating knowing that the fish were there feeding and I couldn't get a single bite.