Calaveras Lake Wall

I was there yesterday, from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm the fish were there but not biting i tried everything (live tilapia, crawfish, silver spoon ) and nothing seem to work even tried with balloons ( never done it before ) and not a single bite, it was Very frustrating knowing that the fish were there feeding and I couldn't get a single bite.
Was anyone else there catching?

I had plans to go to the wall yesterday AM, but Mr' Murphy came by for a visit and I spent the day re-wiring my trailer lights. Ready to go now!

Sgo1986

If they aren't biting lures or live bait I usually have a bag of head on shrimp with me and that tends to be the trick. And they can be picky eaters.. Sometimes if silver spoons won't work, I'll try a gold spoon, or something chartreuse. I had a balloon out with live tilapia and no bites on it but killed them with the silver spoon. Sometimes I've had to down size the spoon to get bites. I've fished next to guys using live bait and they won't get a bite but I can't get head on shrimp past the current without getting hooked up. They can be pretty picky some days.

If they aren't biting lures or live bait I usually have a bag of head on shrimp with me and that tends to be the trick. And they can be picky eaters.. Sometimes if silver spoons won't work, I'll try a gold spoon, or something chartreuse. I had a balloon out with live tilapia and no bites on it but killed them with the silver spoon. Sometimes I've had to down size the spoon to get bites. I've fished next to guys using live bait and they won't get a bite but I can't get head on shrimp past the current without getting hooked up. They can be pretty picky some days.
yesterday was one of those days!! Lol

Sgo1986

Just keep getting out there... This is usually a good month on the wall. Sept-October they migrate towards the dam to "spawn". They don't actually reproduce, but they go through the motions.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
I always had luck with a tony aceda spoon. With yellow feather trailer. They would slam it on the drop and flutter. It's been a good while since Ive been out-there. But classic lures never die.

It's a fun chase when the spawn is on though! Just like when the Hybrids start bustin' the water....man that's good stuff if you get upwind, kill the motor and let the wind drift you into them.....

Sgo1986

This will be my first year to actually go over there and fish the dam.. Last year I kept on catching limits at wall while all the boats were by the dam.. Didn't make sense to me.. But I'll give it a shot this year.