Calaveras wall on fire!

Sgo1986

I set up on the wall at calaveras at 7am today. Head on shimp and slip corks was my go to rig. Went through 1lb of shrimp and they were still biting. Easily caught and released 20 or more reds. Several were 28-30". I love watching a cork go under but when the Rod tip bends with it, it's even better! image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MJ21

I was supposed to go out there on Saturday but the wife just threw a retirement dinner on me today so my plans have changed. If I can, gonna head out there on Sunday. Where were u positioned at. Right, left, or down the middle? I have the best luck from the middle to the right side.

Thanks. I was at the Wall Friday evening for several hours and nothing was caught between 10 and 15 people using both bait and lures. I noticed the plant wasn't running. No smoke from any stack. I can't remember ever seeing this before. I also assume no current being pulled under the wall if the plant wasn't running. Does anyone have any intel on this? Also may have been too close after the two cold fronts...

WD40

@MJ21 - If you had a retirement dinner, you must be retired or about to be. That should mean you can go fishing ALL the time now, right?
Yeah, my spouse didn't buy that with me either.

MJ21

@MJ21 - If you had a retirement dinner, you must be retired or about to be. That should mean you can go fishing ALL the time now, right?
Yeah, my spouse didn't buy that with me either.
@WD40 I wish I was retired now! I technically have1 yr and 6 months left before I retire from the AF...can't wait! She is throwing a retirement dinner for one of her coworkers, so what I meant to say is she just sprung it on me today that I had to join her.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ21

Thanks. I was at the Wall Friday evening for several hours and nothing was caught between 10 and 15 people using both bait and lures. I noticed the plant wasn't running. No smoke from any stack. I can't remember ever seeing this before. I also assume no current being pulled under the wall if the plant wasn't running. Does anyone have any intel on this? Also may have been too close after the two cold fronts...
I have been out there when the plant wasn't running and still had luck catching reds. My guess is that the weather was the cause of the bait wasn't presented in a manner in which they would bite. I have been out there for 6 hrs before with not a single bite then bamm, all of a sudden I catch my limit within 15 min and everything after that is catch and release. Sometimes patience is key...but sometimes u get skunked!

Sgo1986

I used mono line so when my slip cork landed the line sinks and the cork pretty well stays put.. I had the corks set deep.. About 10ft... Used head on shrimp from heb. If the fish aren't biting then yea they are hard to catch.. And they came in spurts.. You could tell a school was coming when the guys down the wall started catching then 5 min later my rods went down.. Then they just kept coming through in waves like that.. 2 times both of my rods went down.. I started with 4 rods but they were biting too fast and couldn't handle all 4 getting tangled with fish lol. Over cast days with a south wind is always awesome on the wall.

MJ21

Quick question @Sgo1986, when using the slip cork, do u put a small weight like a split shot sinker at the bottom with the bait or is the bait free lined?

Sgo1986

Def use the weight.. Basically put a bobber stop, slip cork, egg weight, swivel, 2ft leader and hook.... Set the bobber stop about 10 foot above the hook. The weight and cork sit on the swivel while you cast. Then once it lands the weight pulls line through the cork till it hits the bobber stop. Set it in the Rod holder and wait for the cork to disappear lol. It's one of my favorite ways to catch fish lol.