Canyon Lake stocked with Florida Largemouth bass

ShawnT

Texas Parks and Wildlife have been very busy as of late stocking our lakes.

- Last week just over 300K Florida Largemouth bass were stocked into Lake Buchanan.
- Monday June 29th, 400K Florida Largemouth bass were stocked into Lake Travis.
- Yesterday , 40K Florida Largemouth bass were stocked in to Canyon Lake.

I was able to tag a long with the TXPWD Inland Fisheries from the San Marcos hatchery and take some pictures and capture some video footage of the stocking at Canyon Lake.

Thanks Greg, Chelsea, Trey, Chris, and Marcus for inviting me along.

Video can be found on the Thursday Nighters facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/CanyonThursdayNighters?ref=hl

You can catch all the crappie you want above the lake. We caught more than we wanted fishing for other species before the rains. Caught them trolling cranks and the guides were killing them on minnows and jigs. The crappie population is just fine.

DrErk

And I catch plenty of large mouth bass fishing for crappie, usually more than I catch crappie when I'm on canyon actually, but that's another story. I fail to see your point that you caught more than you wanted when you say in the same sentence that you wanted to catch zero... And if the crappie population is so great, why is canyon considered a poor lake for them?

Anyway, I wasn't specifically talking about canyon. I don't understand why none of the smaller ponds and creeks have no crappie populations. I understand that calaveras used to be an awesome crappie fishery before they introduced the reds, but now there's no crappie fisheries left in the city (that I know of). I was just fishing for info to see if there's any plans to ever stock anything other than bass (and catfish and trout for the put and take ponds) in this city.

Rambling.....if you want to catch CRAPPIE in canyon then go above the lake into the Guad and you will find them. If you are targeting them and canyon isn't a crappie fishery then go somewhere else. There is no reason to stock crappie in canyon. You are missing the point...we were targeting striper trolling big cranks and alabama rigs and caught plenty of skiers..aka crappie. Your original post was misleading i guess. How much money do crappie fisherman contribute to the industry compared to bass fisherman ??? Hence TPWD stocking bass instead of crappie. I will defer to "Fishmaster150" for crappie fishing, he seems to do pretty well....OUT

DrErk

I'll defer to the OP since he's the one that seems plugged in to tpwd contacts. Sorry to have struck a nerve. I didn't realize mentioning another fish species in an existing post would be such a controversial topic on a friendly board!

ShawnT

DrErk,
I dont know the answer to your question. TXPWD stock each lake differently. Canyon is more of a striper fishery (deep water) so they choose to continuously stock striper. Some lakes are proven black bass fisheries so they stock those lakes with black bass. Most lakes however are stocked with black bass as that is the #1 sought after sport fish in Texas. Most of TXPWD Inland Fisheries funding come from black bass fisherman.

There are only a certain amount of fingerlings to go around. Canyon got the last 40,000 black bass fingerlings for 2015. They stock the lakes with the most desire, however they do stock some public ponds. You'll have to contact them for which ones. If a lot more people (and I mean a lot more people) went to fish Canyon they would stock the lake accordingly. Lake Fork gets an insane amount of stockings every year, as it sees the most fishing pressure.

Sgo1986

If you want slab crappie try lake placid. I have seen big crappie come from there.. But if you want big crappie in shallow water, try Lake Fork.. Amazing crappie fishery. A limit of 12+" crappie is very common! Yea @Fishmaster150 can get you on the crappie at canyon too! He tends to kill it. Just gotta get out there!

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
If you want slab crappie try lake placid. I have seen big crappie come from there.. But if you want big crappie in shallow water, try Lake Fork.. Amazing crappie fishery. A limit of 12+" crappie is very common! Yea @Fishmaster150 can get you on the crappie at canyon too! He tends to kill it. Just gotta get out there!
Thanks for the kudos buddy.
Yep if u want canyon barn doors I no how to reach me..
I think Shawn T said it best on the stocking questions. Canyon is a recreational lake not a fishing lake to most folks. That's a big reason I crappie fish there they aren't targeted there much making less fishing pressure on them. And yes placid and Dunlap and mqueny have some great slabs but are tough to find consistently.

DrErk

The only place I catch them but I'm zero expert on crappie.
I'm close to a zero expert as well... Perhaps even a negative point or two LOL

I'd love to fish with @Fishmaster150 sometime, but lately my schedule has been sketchy. Work has me traveling more than I'd like plus a little one at home that in a few years I hope to have out on the lake with me from time to time. I'd also prefer to learn to find some during the daylight hours as that's when I'm most likely to fish, and @Fishmaster150 seems to target crappie at night, especially this time of year (correct me if I'm wrong Eddie, but that's what your website seems to suggest.)

I may dust the yak out tomorrow and look for some crappie. Have some jug lines that I may put out as well so if I come up blank on crappie, maybe I'll have a kittyfish or two for dinner. :fishing:

Fishmaster150

Staff member
I'm close to a zero expert as well... Perhaps even a negative point or two LOL

I'd love to fish with @Fishmaster150 sometime, but lately my schedule has been sketchy. Work has me traveling more than I'd like plus a little one at home that in a few years I hope to have out on the lake with me from time to time. I'd also prefer to learn to find some during the daylight hours as that's when I'm most likely to fish, and @Fishmaster150 seems to target crappie at night, especially this time of year (correct me if I'm wrong Eddie, but that's what your website seems to suggest.)

I may dust the yak out tomorrow and look for some crappie. Have some jug lines that I may put out as well so if I come up blank on crappie, maybe I'll have a kittyfish or two for dinner. :fishing:

The 3 main reasons I fish nights is:
1. It's a hell of a lot cooler this time of year. Lol we're not the only ones that get lazy in the heat this time of year.
2. Crappie are built to be nocturnal feeders. I like to be there to serve them the late nite munchies meal.
3. And maybe most important reason. The inconsiderate idiots with no commen sense or curtesy are off the water by dark. It gets pretty hectic this time of year on lake that are recreational. I value my life a lil more than fishing.

I can do a day time trip if it's a half day early morning till noon. I like to cater to my clients when ever they want to fish.... That why its called. AnytimeOutdoors

Sgo1986

All 3 reasons to fish at night are spot on! Crappie fishing tends to be better at night, especially during the summer. When they spawn I've had success in the day time, but it's not 90+ degrees and hard to find them. I have luck in the winter time fishing deep for crappie in the day time too. Night time under lights in summer is by far my favorite way though.

Fishmaster150

Staff member
All 3 reasons to fish at night are spot on! Crappie fishing tends to be better at night, especially during the summer. When they spawn I've had success in the day time, but it's not 90+ degrees and hard to find them. I have luck in the winter time fishing deep for crappie in the day time too. Night time under lights in summer is by far my favorite way though.
Got that right...

DrErk

Not disagreeing with any of those points, it's just too hard to stay out all night with a toddler at home that I don't get to see enough because of work.

And I managed to drag the yak out to canyon fit a few hours today. No crappie but I came home with a couple of nice cats. I'll post a report later or tomorrow if I don't get to it tonight.

Fishmaster150

Staff member
Not disagreeing with any of those points, it's just too hard to stay out all night with a toddler at home that I don't get to see enough because of work.

And I managed to drag the yak out to canyon fit a few hours today. No crappie but I came home with a couple of nice cats. I'll post a report later or tomorrow if I don't get to it tonight.
Buddy I've been were u are 5 times. Lol. They will get older and both of you will be fishing together a lot. Usually more than the wifey tends to like. Lol

DrErk

Buddy I've been were u are 5 times. Lol. They will get older and both of you will be fishing together a lot. Usually more than the wifey tends to like. Lol
Haha yeah I can't wait! I'm planning on attending the next ack demo to try out a pro angler. I've seen lots of pics online of children riding with an adult. Think it would be worth the money for the extra stability. Plus I've been wanting a peddle driven yak for a while now and safety is a more sellable excuse :secret: