Catfish

KEVIN VAN ALEN

Southside lions park lake is popular with some on the forum,using chicken liver,shrimp,prepared stink baits, many use hot dogs. They stock other ponds such as Millers pond as well. For larger cats off the bank that's close, Canyon lake around some off the public land around the boat ramps. You can still use those other baits mainly for channel cats,but for the big blue cats and flatheads,you are better off with live and/or fresh cut Gizzard shad and perch. Calavaras and Braunig for cats on the bank, usually do better at night off the bank using bells as bite indicators .I advise to use multiple rods to increase bites. Goog luck sir.

Southside lions park lake is popular with some on the forum,using chicken liver,shrimp,prepared stink baits, many use hot dogs. They stock other ponds such as Millers pond as well. For larger cats off the bank that's close, Canyon lake around some off the public land around the boat ramps. You can still use those other baits mainly for channel cats,but for the big blue cats and flatheads,you are better off with live and/or fresh cut Gizzard shad and perch. Calavaras and Braunig for cats on the bank, usually do better at night off the bank using bells as bite indicators .I advise to use multiple rods to increase bites. Goog luck sir.
Nice.. will definetly keep that in mind . Thnks

To All,

Last Saturday (25FEB17) morning the TP&WD released a BUNCH of Rainbow Trout into SSLP Lake & into Miller's Pond too. = One of these days someone is going to land a HOSS of a Rainbow that "Summered over".
(Some 3-4 years ago a fellow fishing for LM bass with a Mepp's Spinner caught an ELEVEN POUND Rainbow at Daingerfield State Park Lake in Morris County.)

Btw, I talked to a fellow out there last Saturday evening who said that his 12YO grandson caught a 16# cat out there last May. = That was "proof positive" that there are some NICE fish in SSLC Lake.

IF I can find some goldfish, I'm going to check out SSLC Park lake Sunday PM. = I figure that goldfish will be fine for channel cat AND trout, too.

yours, tex

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
To All,

Last Saturday (25FEB17) morning the TP&WD released a BUNCH of Rainbow Trout into SSLP Lake & into Miller's Pond too. = One of these days someone is going to land a HOSS of a Rainbow that "Summered over".
(Some 3-4 years ago a fellow fishing for LM bass with a Mepp's Spinner caught an ELEVEN POUND Rainbow at Daingerfield State Park Lake in Morris County.)

IF I can find some goldfish, I'm going to check out SSLC Park lake Sunday PM. = I figure that goldfish will be fine for channel cat AND trout, too.

yours, tex
I agree 100%. Southside lions has the depth on the damn side now for a monster to lurk. If they can survive the commerants.
Goldfish at Petsmart

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
There is another post on this forum that mentioned a couple maybe spots in SA for live bait. I haven't been to any of them so I cannot recall the names.