Copano Pier, Fulton tips?

Jason W

Does anyone have any advice regarding Copano Pier in Rockport? Where should I set up? What bait should I use? Thanks!

Beer Snob

All lights are fairly equal but 1,2 and 4 have always produced better for me.
Plus, you don't have to walk too far from your vehicle and the bathrooms. :cool:

Live shrimp, either free lined or under a popping cork, is the go to set up.
As for lures, keep it simple. Either shrimp tails or speck rigs/tandem rigs are best.

FWIW, these recommendations are for night time fishing when the lights are turned on.
Many of the fish you catch will be dinks but there will be the occasional keeper in the mix.

GOOD LUCK!

Jason W

Thanks for the advise. Do you use a heavy action with the popping corks, or do you just let the shrimp swim? I've never had much luck with a speck rig at night. It works well out there? Thanks again.

KEVIN VAN ALEN

Standard speck rigs are with "hair " only on the jighead with eyes. The best ones come with the worm on them with no eyes. The go to is the glow colored o n at least one as the are rigged tandem. MY one lure I would never go speck. fishing under the lights at night

Beer Snob

Thanks for the advise. Do you use a heavy action with the popping corks, or do you just let the shrimp swim? I've never had much luck with a speck rig at night. It works well out there? Thanks again.
No need for a heavy rod. You can just let the shrimp swim around. Something should pick it up pretty quick.
Pack a few different colors of rigs and tails. If the bite slows down on one, just switch colors or lures.
Or switch locations and work your way down the lights if room allows.

Jason W

I appreciate ya. I'm not headed out until the 14th. I'm finally going to get to bring my better half with me without the kids. Should be fun. I got a chance to hit this pier for the first, and only time, about a month ago. It's pretty awesome. I guess I was at about the four light. You can see it on Google maps. I picked it BC you can see a little ridge. I pulled in some good gafftops and a few whiting. Everyone was saying that the reds where going through earlier in the day. I missed them though. I bought my bait too late. All of the bait shops were out/closed. I had to go to HEB. I used frozen shrimp and squid. I used cut bait after I pulled in a few dings. The shrimp still produced the best. I'm trying to get into town earlier to get some live. I want to chunk some blue crab out there. Thanks again for the tips!
upload_2017-4-4_23-33-58.png

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
The gut and shell ridge along the back side of baitstand that runs from fish cleaning table to the pavilion by the boat ramp is a fish Hwy. Especially when the Dolphins are running the lights hard at night. The bigger fish stay out of the bright light and lurk in the edges and dark areas just out of the lights like this area behind the baitstand.
Light 7 has a good drop off too.

Il be doing guided 3-7 day bank pier wade and surf fishing trips at the coast starting in May -September.
I can't wait to get down there!!!
Good luck...

Nothing beats crappie jigs tied into speck rigs when the specks won't bite or the dinks are thick.
Bounce the bottom bigger fish stay below and feed off the bye catch from the smaller fish.
Moms bait in rockport has awesome fresh bait daily.

Jason W

Thanks! If you got to pick, where you set up. Would you set up shop before the shell ridge or after it. Closer to the pavilion or closer to the cleaning station?

Fishmaster150

Staff member
I travel light and roam. To avoid the damn Dolphins. They don't look at the dinks u hook but as soon as u hook a keeper they turn on a dime and are after your trout. A good pier net is worth the investement it's a high pier.
I tend to fish between the pavilion baitshop and cleaning station watch for activity and follow suit.
Glow soft plastics can outfish live shrimp for bigger trout as the dinks sluaghter it quickly before a big trout can find it. Rattle float is also a trout must have to try something diffrent with say a gulp soft plastics work awesome.
Sometime trout will give the slightest tick of a strike Is all u will feel be ready with a spring loaded hook set just not a single hard as u wound hook set a bass. Trout have very soft mouths and hooks rip lips quickly.
Copano has always been good to me. We regularly catch well over 100 trout in a good nite. Problem is most 90%+ are all short these days. Last year me and my side kick had a race in 2 hours we both caught 100 each with 2 keepers each. Texas double almost every cast... what a blast no matter the size IMG_6619.JPG . A great place to learn the ropes on nite coast fishing. Fish the tide swings and good luck...
I love rockport there is a lot of great fishing in that area of the coast.

I'm heading out this weekend for 2 nights of pier fishing with the men of the family. I'll put up a report if I can remember. Gonna bring down spinning gear and work the lights. Picked up some H $ H glass minnows for something new to try as well as some fish bites for something to tip my jigs with. Here's hoping I catch more than a buzz.

Jason W

Sounds like a blast. I can't wait to get out there. Do the reds run that shallow as well? I'm thinking I'll try the rattle float and something like a doa shrimp below it. Should I go smaller? I'll try a tandem crappie soft plastic jig too. Should I go smaller than the doa shrimp. Do you use any other colors other than glow? Doa and gulp shrimp are the only plastics I've had success with at night. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Fishmaster150

Staff member
3" glow or root beer/charchuse tail doa.
Tx trout killers work well.
Gulp in penny shrimp is awesome. Or white grub.
Yes everything in the bay follows the same fish highways following the bait. Good luck.

Beer Snob

Not to highjack this thread but I want to thank you @Fishmaster150 for posting so much information.
Much of it I had no prior knowledge of.
I haven't fished that area much in the last few years so I might have to give it a go next week.

Fishmaster150

Staff member
Not to highjack this thread but I want to thank you @Fishmaster150 for posting so much information.
Much of it I had no prior knowledge of.
I haven't fished that area much in the last few years so I might have to give it a go next week.
Good luck buddy. U are more than welcome. If u ever want to do a single man guided trip with me down there I no rockport/Fulton very very well.

Well it didn't go too well, but I expected as much. I caught a few dinks on a hi-lo doule rigged chartruese GULP swimming mullet, but otherwise it was all gafftops. I caught 3 in the 2lbs range on dead shrimp with a tab Fish Bites. Water was dirty. They rolled under the lights maybe once all night.

Fishmaster150

Staff member
Recent rains cuased to much freshwater in the back bays.
Trout need a high salinity and clean water. Gaf top can take the brackish water and favor it.
U needed to head to a deeper area of Rockport or closer to a gulfway inlet. The channels and deeper holes there were packed with fish I'm betting... that's fishing sometimes. Just smelling the salt air is worth the trip in my book... and U beat the g00se egg with an artificial lure. a successful trip in my book.

Beer Snob

Copano Causeway fishing pier has been closed down for a structural integrity inspection.
This happened before the hurricane but the storm did also destroy the bait/snack/entrance fee stand on the Southern
portion of the bridge.