Does every place charge to go fishing with a boat??

Hello Ya'll,
My wife and I recently moved here from SC. We got a good surprise when we fished Brauning and Medina lakes this weekend and spent $20 at each. In SC they have boat ramps everywhere free of charge the only money you spend is for gas and bait. Looking forward to any advice yall can give a fella. Thank you in advance.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
U can google txpwd free boat ramps and there's a list of Tx free boat ramps across the state.
Other than canyon or guadalupe river lakes there not many other free boat ramps within 1 hour of SA.

U can google txpwd free boat ramps and there's a list of Tx free boat ramps across the state.
Other than canyon or guadalupe river lakes there not many other free boat ramps within 1 hour of SA.
Thank you sir. That helps a lot. I guess I know where to head too now. All we like to fish for is bass, cats and bream.

Not sure where that one us at, but reds or state park would be my suggestion... or Wartons Dock on the river.... wartons us free, or was the last three times i put in there

Im pretty sure its closed down as a business.... it is on the bandera side of medina lake.... let me do a google search and see what i can up with..

Hello Ya'll,
My wife and I recently moved here from SC. We got a good surprise when we fished Brauning and Medina lakes this weekend and spent $20 at each. In SC they have boat ramps everywhere free of charge the only money you spend is for gas and bait. Looking forward to any advice yall can give a fella. Thank you in advance.
Lake Dunlap is north from San Antonio on IH-35 about 30 minutes. Under the IH-35 bridge at the south end of the lake (where the Guadalupe River goes under the interstate) is a public ramp. No charge. The lake is known to have double digit bass as well as large catfish. The lake is totally surrounded by homes and is known as a ski lake in the warmer months. Fishing at night is advisable during the summer. The wakes those ski boats generate are awful.

Sgo1986

Canyon Lake.. Bass, striper, whites, crappie, blues, channels.. Very good fishing once you learn the lake. But it's free to launch at most ramps.