Flying Rainbow Trout?

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
I wake up everyday day and check the water temp at the guad. Its a bit behind schedule with the warm weather we are having. But It's almost time... I can't wait either...

Jason W

Trout are great fish and really fun to catch, but I don't understand why TPW likes to stock them when they know that they will die when the water temp. gets too high. Why not focus on species that will survive and could eventually be self sustaining? Why not bolster fish that we know will succeed? Yes, they are making it more fun for us anglers, but I can't help but feel that they are spinning their wheels. I think I'd rather see them strengthen the native fish population instead. Am I on a island on this one? All of this being said, I know nothing of the logic behind it. Any other thoughts on this? I guess I could get fully on board if they had a giant budget, but it's limited. Are they making the assumption that every fish that they stock will be caught?

Slow Native

The tail race of the canyon dam is the only place that I know of where trout live year round. The release from canyon lake maintains low enough water temps for a couple of miles down River. I hear you though on the lake stockings and other rivers. Not used to stocked trout growing up in WA State..

Slow Native

Most are either fished out within weeks of stocking or die shortly after being released. However TPWD experiments with the trout by releasing them each year. This year they are set to release more brown trout as they've been expressing more longevity with the warmer waters. We will see.

Jason W

I get it on one hand, It's fun as hell to catch great fish. It just seams like an exercise in futility. All of my ramblings aside, if I get a chance to catch one, I'll have a giant smile on my face while I take some selfies to post!

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
I get it on one hand, It's fun as hell to catch great fish. It just seams like an exercise in futility. All of my ramblings aside, if I get a chance to catch one, I'll have a giant smile on my face while I take some selfies to post!
Well let's get out there this winter and get on them good :) always love fishing with our saff members .

Most are either fished out within weeks of stocking or die shortly after being released. However TPWD experiments with the trout by releasing them each year. This year they are set to release more brown trout as they've been expressing more longevity with the warmer waters. We will see.
They stock the trout under the dam because the water is too cold for the warm water fish (Guadalupe Bass, LM Bass, SM bass) to thrive in. Not to say that those fish aren't there, because they are. Just not as many as in warmer parts of the River. Out of curiosity where did you hear they are releasing brown trout this year? I'm pretty sure they havnt done that in years because they have seen that the rainbow trout survives the best on the Guadalupe

Slow Native

They stock the trout under the dam because the water is too cold for the warm water fish (Guadalupe Bass, LM Bass, SM bass) to thrive in. Not to say that those fish aren't there, because they are. Just not as many as in warmer parts of the River. Out of curiosity where did you hear they are releasing brown trout this year? I'm pretty sure they havnt done that in years because they have seen that the rainbow trout survives the best on the Guadalupe
I went out to the base of canyon dam where there was a LCRA employee who told me he believed TPWD was going to resume brown stocking with a slight variation of strain. I understand what your saying because they haven't listed the stocking of brown trout since 2000 in their records. Saw an article online that had the vp of GRTU stating that they always throw a few brown trout in with the bows.