Just getting started

Jerry Snyder

Fishing at 11:00 PM in Alaska......
I know a bunch of you guys have been fishing a long time, but some of us are just getting started.

What weight rod/line combo would be good for each lake?

I went to Millers pond on the way home and looked like a lighter outfit would do, but Calaveras was another story. I saw guys there with surf rod outfits.

Maybe some of the more experienced fishermen could post a few tips on length of rods, weight of line test, sinker weights, rigs, etc... for the beginners like me.

Thanks in adavance.

Jerry

George R

Fishing with dynamite
I've got off-the-shelf kits too, some from WalMart or Academy...nothing special! I do have a surf rod, but my bud uses it more than I do! He has family in CC so visits and fishes there.

I've never caught anything that would break the poles, but I would consider heavier if you are going to fish for reds or big cats at the lakes. Everything else, regular poles will do! But, fishing is definitely better with better equipment - I started out cheap, and it's still working for me, so I haven't changed! :p

And the farther you need to cast, the bigger the pole - Calaveras for example!

I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't spend more than $100.00 for a decent rod and reel combo. For a best overall rod something in the medium to medium heavy action should work. 7 foot would be a good lenght. 12 to 17 lbs test line should cover you for large cats as well as small fish such as bass and sunfish. A good spinning reel will give you the most versatility. They are easy to use and get use to (vs a bait caster) and they will throw both heavy and light lures and bait well.
Yeah the big surf rods are mainly used for casting distance. If that's your goal then consider one of them for places like the coast or Cally. If you enjoy bluegills and other small fish that can be found in pretty much any water hole throught the city, you may also want to consider a small ultra light set up. Those are just a pure blast for the sunnies and bass.

Jerry Snyder

I found a decent Penn spinning combo at Pro Bass Shop. 7 foot, 8 to 17 # rating. I filled it up with 12# test and that should do the trick.

Now... just to get back out and test it out. Maybe Wednesday PM after work. Maybe catch my first Catfish...

Thanks

Jerry

Andy

You dont want to go to miller, they have an oxygen issue a few weeks ago, dont know now. They did however dropped all 1500 cats at pecan valley park off of southcross and pecan valley road. They have been catching pretty good out there from what I hear. But some of our members dont bother to give updates which is pretty sad since this forum is about helping each other, not mooching. Great to have you here and hoping you send us back info on how well you do with your new rod and reel.

George R

Fishing with dynamite
Jerry, everyone, here are the stocking dates for the Neighborhood Fishin' parks in San Antonio:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/urban/dates.phtml#catdates

Keep in mind with our current drought conditions, they'll abandon poor lakes like Miller's to prevent fish kill.

July 25th they took Miller's intended stock and put it in Lion's (Pecan Valley). Lions is very nice, great park.

Next stocking dates (for catfish):
  • September 5 and 19
  • October 3, 17 and 21
Trout stocking doesn't begin until November/December, through March. From what I understand you need to get on the trout soon after stocking, as they go quick!

Andy

Yeah I hear theres guys already waiting with rods ready day and night at Millers, Brack and lions park camping overnight just waiting for those trout!:crazy::lol::lies:

Jerry Snyder

I went over to South Lions park this afternoon. I caught one small Catfish. Hooked another, he took a little drag, then it snagged on something, broke off.

Now that I got the skunky smell off the new rod, I just need to go a few more times and get it all figured out. Maybe stay for more than 60 minutes.....

Jerry

Jerry Snyder

Just a side note to my post above:

Caught one small cat today using the hot dog trick.​

When no one was around....I went into the hourly break room at work to cook up some hot dogs for bait and put 3 hot dogs in the micro for the 7 minutes I was told would make them rubbery and good to use.​

After 5 minutes, the smoke started to billow out the micro.... not a very pleasant smell. Everyone in the main office (managers, engineers etc...) got really pissed off because of the smell and smoke. It looked like a 2 alarm special, but they never saw who actually did it, so I might have got away with it.;)

After work (4:00 PM) I went to try South Lions. I have never fished there before and it is pretty close to where I work.​

At South Lions Park, I fished on the right hand side of the dam . There is a little parking lot with a pavillion. I parked there and just walked to the pond.​

I fished with a siding egg sinker with a swivel about 18 inches of 12 # leader and a #2 hook.​

I baited up using the cut up , cooked, Hot Dogs - and casted the bait in the lake about 30 feet out.​

10 minutes later, whammo. Fist fish​

20 minutes later, 2nd fish.​

As I was leaving at 6:00 PM, a couple of guys caugth a few cats.​

I saw some guys using bobbers, I am not sure of the exact set up. Maybe someone can chime in and describe how to fish a bobber system for Cats.​

Thanks​

George R

Fishing with dynamite
I use bobbers with cats sometimes, if the lighting keeps me from seeing the rod movement - if you leave them "slippable" on the line you can adjust the amount of line below the bobber. Takes me a couple of casts to the same area to figure out how deep it is.

I tried the hot dog trick too thanks to Tun3r! I micro'd 3 dogs, and left 3 raw. I think I over micro'd my 3 - I think in my machine at home it will only take 3 minutes or so, instead of 7. But that being said, I caught ALL of the cats on my last trip on the raw dogs.

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Well seems like everyone figured out how to catch some cats but we gotta find some better place and bank access to we can spend few hours in evening time hunting big blues and flat heads instead of channels :p Trust me it's whole different things and feels better when you hook one of those big guns on your lines . Man i gotta find some good spot .

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Guadalupe River is best place to get em ....i caught my PB 26lb/s Flathead with guide cliff on shallow water 3-5ft but it was from boat (New braunfels side ) so if anyone knows anyone good public access spot or has any friends who owns house near those banks would be awesome . I learned few tricks and secret to catch those guns from cliff :p

I have to say, unless you are fishing from a boat, the best advice that I can give you is to book Cliff Hill. He is a great guy, and an outstanding fisherman. He will make sure that you are completely satisfied by the end of the trip. You may or may not catch your personal best, but I guarantee you that he can answer any question that you may have. Whether it be questions about electronics, or reel set ups, he will point you in the right direction. He and I spoke on our first trip together for over an hour on what everything on his catfish graphs meant. He explained what every color on his fish finder meant, and how to find big cats, vs the smaller ones. We probably talked another hour on bass/catfish gear exchanging information. We laughed when I explained low profile reels vs his roundies. It was a blast, never a dull moment. Both of you will learn from each other, no matter what you guys talk about. He is an excellent guide and is well worth the money. You will learn more from this man when it comes to catfishing than reading a forum.