Losing a big one at the dock

Beer Snob

Crazy.
Reminds me of an incident I experienced on a deep sea party boat. A guy next to had a black fin tuna on top of the water next to the boat waiting for a deckhand to come along with a gaff when a mako shark came up from the depths (think the iconic Jaws poster) and took a 20 pound bite out of a 20+ pound tuna leaving nothing but a little bit behind the gills.

tuna rresize.jpg

WD40

Closest I've come to this is having a sea lion take a salmon off my line right at the boat just outside the mouth of the Columbia River. Sucker busted 30 pound mono like it was nothing, then floated on the surface about 20 yards from the boat and ate the fish.

Several years ago, I was fishing off a pier in Galveston & had a "good-sized bull red" on the line. As we were leading him into the net to pull him up on the pier, a GIANT SHARK (I'm guessing at least 10-12 feet long) grabbed my redfish & took off with him.
The shark managed to hook himself & the "fight was on". About 20 minutes later, I decided to "walk the shark down the pier", as there was NO other way to land him.
About half way back to the bank, an employee of the pier reached over, cut my line & said, "You have 5 minutes to get your stuff & leave. We don't allow sharks to be caught here."
(I wanted to FEED the man to the shark, as that was the biggest fish up until then that I had hooked.)

yours, tex

Muskie's use to attack bluegills that we would catch when i was younger, when I lived in WI scared me. Dad (who was the Command Chief for a Naval Reserve Center at the time) told me they were fresh water sharks. Didnt swim much that summer
Aaah the memories of when I was younger chasing my first ever Muskie. Caught one40 inches +/- one inch or so. Best fight I've experienced in my life so far. If your out wading in a lake up North and see a big one pass right by you...it does startle you for Sure! Used to hear stories of them gobbling up baby ducklings and such. One of the more (if not the most) exciting freshwater fish up North.