Miller's pond

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
I just came back from millers pond without any success. Saw lot of people fishing over there but nobody caught anything. Not sure if they stocked trout on 22 Jan !
Saw some nice reports from millers yesterday and some big ones from SLL too . Keep your bait off the bottom in these ponds .

Got there about 6am, caught 3 lost 1 and missed a couple all before 8am. Nothing after that. No catfish bites either. I didn't see anyone else catch anything. Left abut noon.

they get fished out quick bc everyone keeps what they catch no matter the size, also once p;laces get stocked peep swarm like flies
Well I thought that was the point! Those trout will not live all that long in that pond (especially in the summer months). If people don't keep them, they will die anyway.

Well I thought that was the point! Those trout will not live all that long in that pond (especially in the summer months). If people don't keep them, they will die anyway.
Yep, they (TPW) want you to keep what you catch (up to 5 total) which is why Texas has no size limit. Chances of them living through summer are slim.

Went fishing here for the first time. Caught five trout in about an 90 minutes on a spoon. I was done by about 9AM.
I was just relocated from the west coast and miss trout fishing so it was nice to get into some fish again. The stocked trout here seem to like a slow retrieve lure. It worked best to let the lure sink to the bottom before retrieving. Hits typically came right after the first couple feet. I used a light rig with 4# line with the lure tied directly, no swivel. From what I observed, it appeared a lot of folks were geared up pretty heavy. Much heavier tackle than what was needed for these little guys. I liked Mepps but swapped out to a bucktail Kastmaster for the extra distance and depth. Kastmaster was more effective that day.

I was just relocated from the west coast and miss trout fishing so it was nice to get into some fish again. The stocked trout here seem to like a slow retrieve lure. It worked best to let the lure sink to the bottom before retrieving. Hits typically came right after the first couple feet. I used a light rig with 4# line with the lure tied directly, no swivel. From what I observed, it appeared a lot of folks were geared up pretty heavy. Much heavier tackle than what was needed for these little guys. I liked Mepps but swapped out to a bucktail Kastmaster for the extra distance and depth. Kastmaster was more effective that day.
I plan on trying the Guadalupe soon as I understand the fishing is pretty good up there. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start. I typically fish with hardware so wondering what's effective up there. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Saw some nice reports from millers yesterday and some big ones from SLL too . Keep your bait off the bottom in these ponds .
Thanks TuN3R. I had setup with floating Berkley orange bait with egg sinker. leader line was about 12-18 inch and I used a treble hook.
What setup did you guys use at Millers pond ?
Next week I am heading out to Camp Huaco. Any tips would be highly appreciated !!

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks TuN3R. I had setup with floating Berkley orange bait with egg sinker. leader line was about 12-18 inch and I used a treble hook.
What setup did you guys use at Millers pond ?
Next week I am heading out to Camp Huaco. Any tips would be highly appreciated !!
http://www.safishingforum.com/threads/trout-fishing-questions-answers.1097/

Pretty much that !! Yes go ahead and try camp huaco on river rd and below canyon lake dam i have seen some nice reports on striper as well lately below dam .

they get fished out quick bc everyone keeps what they catch no matter the size, also once p;laces get stocked peep swarm like flies
Exactly. It's a catch and keep fisherie. These fish will NOT survive our Summer's with water temps reaching the 80's in some places. The Guadalupe has some DEEP pockets but even then hardly any rainbows survive.

They don't reproduce naturally in our waters either. And even if they did the fry/eggs would all die from rising water temps.

I plan on trying the Guadalupe soon as I understand the fishing is pretty good up there. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start. I typically fish with hardware so wondering what's effective up there. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Spinners, spoons and any variation of those work

Yep, they (TPW) want you to keep what you catch (up to 5 total) which is why Texas has no size limit. Chances of them living through summer are slim.
Not entirely true. The Guadalupe has now been sectioned off and has 3 zones. The details are on their website but basically whitewater and up river is the 12"-18" slot. Fish under 12" can be kept with a max of 5. One can be 18" or bigger. Down stream is one fish of 18" or bigger. And near Huaco it's 5 fish , no size limit.

ALL fish must be caught on artificials.

Here's the map and details
http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/guadalupe.phtml