Need advice on a fishfinder

SChapa

Hey Guys,

I'm gonna get a new fish finder that I want to mount on the bow with the transducer on my trolling motor. I want one with GPS, Side to side scanning and down scan imaging. Advice from anyone that has one mounted on there trolling motor would be greatly appreciated. I'm not experienced at all with reading/setting one up so I need one that is user friendly. I've been looking online and I think my price range is gonna be $400-$500. Recommendations on brands, models etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows someone with experience mounting them a name and # would be great. Bass pro shops charges $100.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
Go hummingbird. They are very user friendly and have a better pixel screen. And they have a great one in your price range that has all u want.
As for the install. That's not a bad price. I charge $150 for install but I come too you. Good luck a good fish finder will change your fishing completely. 90% of fisherman are fishing dead water on there excursions with out or not knowing how to read a fish finder. you tube has plenty of videos to learn how to read it and operated settings.
They also have you tube videos on how to install the motor it's not hard just time consuming. If u have ever done any basic DC electronic work u will be fine.

SChapa

Go hummingbird. They are very user friendly and have a better pixel screen. And they have a great one in your price range that has all u want.
As for the install. That's not a bad price. I charge $150 for install but I come too you. Good luck a good fish finder will change your fishing completely. 90% of fisherman are fishing dead water on there excursions with out or not knowing how to read a fish finder. you tube has plenty of videos to learn how to read it and operated settings.
They also have you tube videos on how to install the motor it's not hard just time consuming. If u have ever done any basic DC electronic work u will be fine.
Awesome, Thanks!

Sgo1986

I bought the lowrance 4 elite HDI... GPS, sonar, and down scan. It's not bad.. But not great either.. It's prone to reading a lot of interference no matter how I set the settings.. I've learned to use.. YouTube def helps, but nothing can teach you more than getting it on the water.. The day I caught schooling hybrids and reds while watching the fish finder pretty much made it all click. Hummingbird might also be the next route I go.. I've seen lots of good graphs on those units. Lowrance isn't bad once you get to the higher end models. As far as install, I think bass pro charged me more than 100$.. Just make sure they keep that quote if it's a solid quote.

Erich

I recently purchased a humminbird helix 7 si gps and love it. I did lots of looking before purchase. All I can say is go to some retailers and play around with the display models. Get the biggest you can afford. At first I was considering the helix 5 but when actually saw and played with it the screen size is very small and the pics displayed are compressed. Would be difficult to see when standing and looking down at display. The bigger the screen the better. Also take into account that some models don't come with map card. Yes they have built in gps, but no lake contours. I had to pay a additional 150 for map card witch bumped up the total price. With that said overall I love the helix and learn something new every outing. Good luck

I just recently got a boat and purchased a ray marine dragonfly 4 and installed it but haven't used it yet. From videos and pictures it looks like a great unit. I got mine for 300+ at bass pro.