Need help w/ used boat shopping

Xavier

I am looking to buy a used boat in the $2500-$4000 range that is good for swimming as well as tubing. I know about ensuring boat, trailer, & motor are all titled, but as far as much else I don't know much. Please advise on things to look for, good/bad makes, motor and boat size, etc...I've always fished from a jon boat or canoe and this will be my family's first boat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a boat for sale that meets this criteria I have cash.

What kind of boat do you have in mind? I think if you're looking for a boat that will be best suited for family use you want to look at pontoon boats. Lots of room. Make sure you get one with a larger engine though. They under power the heck out of those things sometimes, and you won't be able to pull a tube well with the smaller engines.

MJ21

Must admit I read this wrong. I thought it was 25K-40K. I've been contemplating selling mine, but for 12.5K.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
A good fish/ski model can be found on Craig's list in that price range. Its the best of both worlds fishing and Sking. Good luck hunting that's half the fun. If possible see it run bfor cash exchanges hands.

DrErk

I am looking to buy a used boat in the $2500-$4000 range that is good for swimming as well as tubing. I know about ensuring boat, trailer, & motor are all titled, but as far as much else I don't know much. Please advise on things to look for, good/bad makes, motor and boat size, etc...I've always fished from a jon boat or canoe and this will be my family's first boat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a boat for sale that meets this criteria I have cash.
Wouldn't recommend filling a boat with water for swimming. They make special structures you can have built on your property for that :crazy:

WD40

For what it's worth, I strongly second what @Fishmaster150 said about seeing it run. If you find one you like, it might not hurt to ask if you can go with the current owner on a test drive, just like you would with a used car. If they balk at that, they might know something they don't want you to until the deal is done.

upload_2016-5-11_20-21-28.png

MJ21

If it's an outboard motor, I would try to see the color of the gear lube. If it's cloudy or milky, then there is a water in the lower unit. Bottle will only cost about $5 or so to replace if needed. But like @Fishmaster150 and @WD40 said, have them take you out. If need be, take someone that has some knowledge of a boat motor so that your not suckered or sweet talked into something.

KEVIN VAN ALEN

I have friend I have known almost 40 yrs in Dallas that is a used boat dealer. He usually got 20 plus boats of all kinds. Call him and see what hes got,I got my 20 ft. Champion bass boat from him 6 mos. ago and got a very fair deal on it.His name is Tom and there is a guy named Tommy there as well, 940-594-9080. He usually has several boats in that price range.

I have friend I have known almost 40 yrs in Dallas that is a used boat dealer. He usually got 20 plus boats of all kinds. Call him and see what hes got,I got my 20 ft. Champion bass boat from him 6 mos. ago and got a very fair deal on it.His name is Tom and there is a guy named Tommy there as well, 940-594-9080. He usually has several boats in that price range.
Thanks @KEVIN VAN ALEN!