Public Fishing Access Areas Open Again on the Guadalupe River

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
AUSTIN—The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) has signed temporary leased access agreements with four Guadalupe River property owners to expand public fishing access to the trout fishery downstream of Canyon Lake.

Public fishing access will be available at Mountain Breeze Campground, Rio Guadalupe Resort (formerly Rio Raft and Resort), and Whitewater Sports from December 4, 2015, through May 4, 2016. This provides two additional months of access from previous years at these sites. Public fishing access will also be available at Camp Huaco Springs from December 4, 2015, through March 12, 2016.

Recognized as one of the top 100 trout streams in America and the southernmost trout stream in the United States, this segment of the Guadalupe River is managed through special fishing regulations (http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/guadalupe.phtml ) and is stocked in the winter months by the TPWD (http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml ) and the Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

The leases provide anglers with free access to the Guadalupe River at the four properties from 30 minutes before daylight until 30 minutes after dusk. Anglers will be able to use the properties for bank fishing and to launch non-motorized watercraft such as rafts, kayaks and canoes for the purpose of fishing. The leases were made possible with funding provided by the US Department of Agriculture Voluntary Public Access and Habitat Incentive Program.

For additional information or directions to the leased fishing access areas, call or visit the following websites.

For information on river fishing access areas throughout the state, including site specific restrictions, visit http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/rivers/.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
I've got a client booked for the day tmaro for some rainbow action. I can't wait.ten we head to the ranch to hunt for 2 days on a cast and blast trip. I Went to take a look yesterday with my girls an hour bfor dark. Water is 4' high and hauling balls but fish able. image.jpeg
If anyone is interested in booking a trip let me no. image.jpeg

WD40

If you try the method Trout Ninja shows in his video, I would suggest putting a small bead between the weight and the swivel. That keeps the lead weight from cutting into the mono and creating a weak spot that might mean the loss of a decent sized fish. Just an idea.

I might try one of these spots tomorrow. Any thoughts on the best one for bank fishing? Is the floating artificial bait the way to go, or will they hit something else?

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Camp huaco is one of the best areas among all those simply for put and take but if i am looking for trophy i would look for pay and fish areas like rio raft better chances of hooking up some of those big mommas from deep holes and only lures artificials allowed in those areas.

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Used to kill 'em on these in Washington State:

http://www.basspro.com/Mikes-Glitter-Mallows-Trout-Bait/product/20786/

The garlic ones worked best with the cheese coming in a close second. Also used with a small piece of nightcrawler, garden worm, or salmon eggs. The mallow floated the bait off the bottom so the fish could find it better.
Those never worked for me salmon eggs works like charm . I never fished with cheese before either most used powerworms /powerbait orange mostly other than that it's always been small spinners and those superdupers.

WD40

Any more I prefer to use lures. Keeps the hands less messy and don't have to worry about the fish swallowing the bait. A number of Rooster Tails, Blue Fox Vibrax, and small Mepps inline spinners as well as a few small crankbaits are usually found in my trout box.

I just came back from Camp Huaco Springs but did not catch anything. The fish were not biting at all. I tried Berkley power bait and Rapalla Minnow. There were few more folks out there but nobody caught any trout.