Spinning vs Baitcast?

Do y'all think there is a huge difference between Spinning reels and baitcasting reels? I was told that the cast is a bit longer for baitcasting but is the the key difference? I've had a handful of moments to try baitcast and wasn't very good with it (Kept bird nesting). I kind of want to make the switch and learn but is it worth the money to upgrade now when I'm comfortable with spinning? Appreciate any advice

Steveram89,

YEP. BIG difference in spinning & casting reels.

I'm old enough that baitcasting reels is what I'm used to & while I have a couple of open-face spinning reels, I use them for panfish.

It's your personal decision whether to learn to use a baitcasting rig efficiently.

yours, tex

I use both, and yes there is a big difference. Power and drag is better with baitcasters. If your finesse fishing with light tackle spinning is more the ticket.

WD40

I use both also. Depends on the situation as to which one I grab.
I would suggest you get yourself a nice, mid-range baitcaster and a decent rod and practice, practice, practice.
The new reels are a lot easier to set up than the old ones I started on. Make sure you read and understand the instructions for setting up the controls.
And did I mention practice, practice, practice?

Beer Snob

Totally agree with WD40.
They both have their advantages.
If I may use an automotive analogy...
Automatic transmissions are great but it's good to know how to drive a standard.

Sgo1986

Def need to learn both.. Yes a bait caster is little harder to learn, but the once you get both down, you enable yourself to be succesful in more situations.

KMHendu

Definite need for both if bass fishing. I know it sounds crazy and people will look at you strange but if you get one practice in your yard. A beginner should use atleast 3/8 oz of weight and probably 1/2 oz to get used to it. Don't spool on a full spool till you get used to it so you can practice picking out backlashes, lol. Set both brakes pretty tight till you get used to it. Casting distance will suffer but fewer backlashes

I guess I just found another excuse to go to Academy! I'll look into getting a lower end combo until I get the hang of not bird nesting the damn thing. Appreciate the help guys!

A trick that I learned when learning to cast a bait caster is to pull out a casts worth of line then put a piece of electrical tape on the spool. When you backlash it won't go deeper than the tape. When you can cast to the tape... move it deeper. I even fished with the tape for a while. P. S. It will get sticky after a while so you will need to replace it over time but I bet you will learn and not need it any more.

To All,

IF I was going to give advice (to a rank beginner) on learning to use a revolving spool casting reel, I would tell them to seek out & borrow or buy an "old school" LANGLEY or ZEBCO LURECAST loaded with BRAIDED line & a suitable casting rod, as those reels are relatively easy to learn to use as a beginner.

just my OPINION, tex

Definitely learn to use a baitcaster. With practice and experience your accuracy and distance will get better. I use both, but am much more accurate with the baitcaster. My best advice is get a decent, mid priced setup and practice a lot. A BPS Pro Qualifier is a great first reel, they have had them priced as low as $50. Abu Garcia Orras are pretty good too.

Steveram89,

IF it's a ZEBCO LURECAST, that may well be a BARGAIN. = I've owned TWO of the Lurecast reels over the last 50 years & they cast NICE with BRAIDED LINE.
(The reels don't cast well with ordinary monofilament.)

best wishes, tex