Top Water Striper!

Sgo1986

image.jpeg Top water action on Canyon was awesome today! Several schools were up for about an hour! Landed 20 or so fish. Literally cast after cast with a bone spook. Nothing like it!
image.jpeg

Sgo1986

Near the dam.. I'd say mid morning.. It's hit or miss on the top water.. But it's happening so gotta check out cooler waters.. Dam area was 82 which seems to be the top water temp they like.. Rest of the lake was 83-85 and they were deeper.. So I hit my spot I caught the other day first, saw a few fish but not really worth fishing then decided to just go look around 8:15am.. Saw several Schools on top and they finally quit about 9:15.. Idk exactly how I caught in that hour, but it was literally catch on every cast for awhile. Think I'll start checking for top water earlier and hopefully catch them longer.

Sounds good,I Knew a guy in the 80s would start at dawn and throw the biggest Bomber long A's in silver shad colors close to the damn.He regularly caught 1-3 in the 20-30lb. range,dont know if still works.Thanks,sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
Very nice. That's a awesome day on the water indeed...
It's been a good while since I caught them like that there on top water there I'm always busy prepping for hunting season and miss most of that action. Lol
A good friend of mine guided striper on canyon in the 80s and had the lake record for a few years on a huge silver bomber
I beleave me and @kevan van Allen are talking about the same gentleman. Lol
There she is in all her glory. That huge lure in her mouth looks like a standard bass lure with her size.
I no there's alot bigger one hiding in canyon. I've seen them on the surface at night when my green led lights are glowing.
image.jpeg
This pic doesn't give the true size and girth of this fish as seeing it in person.

Sgo1986

Man that's an awesome fish.. You could tell how big these early schoolies were, so I used a regular bone spook.. However, from what I've researched, the smaller fish aren't effected by the warmer water so they get active first.. As the water cools over the next 2 months, the bigger ones will also have days where they are aggressive enough to boil the surface. For that day, I have a bone Super Spook.. Hoping I can get on something that size this year! I've only been fishing for them since April. Learning the lake and areas that hold striper is half the battle lol.. But it's coming along and hopefully all this hard work will land me a double digit striper.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
The striper there 20 hell even 10 years ago were much bigger Girths and healthier looking with fat Bellys. Now days most we catch are all like u have. 17"-25"s
A 2-6# average in wieght.
I catch atleast 2 a year in double digits crappie fishing and on 4# test. Usually 10-14# range. 3 years ago I landed this one my biggest in over 10 years. image.jpeg My cuzn knocked me out by a bit the next week. Lol image.jpeg
Nite time in the early and late winter is a good time for the big ones with the green Leds. We see some nice fish cruising by a lot.
A slow falling buck tail jig at the bottom of the schoolies were the fat ones lay and eat the dead bait that sinks down is another good way to find a double digit striper there. Keep up the great work it will pay off at canyon. Good luck...

Sgo1986

The first few I caught I noticed were extremely skinny.. However, the lake filled up before the shad spawn, and I'm seeing large bait balls unlike before. If it'll hold water for a couple of shad spawns and time for these stripers to gorge themselves I think we'll see some better average fish. Yea I may have to try the night time fishing this fall.

Hey Steve, long time no see, yeah he was my dad [King Calavaras] some called him. He liked you and your brother a lot. Fishmaster ,you are right, same guy Steve S., on those HUGE Canyon stripers. He brought that Biggest one to the house and showed us . I held it while it was alive. I caught 3 Lake Lewisville record Stripers in 1 week in the 90s,under the Ray Roberts damn. A lmb fisherman broke my record on a spinnerbait in the main lake. Still fish Steve H.?