Trout fishing on stocking date

Robert Medina

Anyone interested in going to target trout on January 13th or the 20th? I want to hit up the canyon tailrace. Most likely the southern part closer to New Braunfels. I plan on going morning to mid-morning and staying until late afternoon or whenever I get my limit. Let me know if you're interested.

Robert Medina

Looks like I will be going on the 20th if anyone is interested. I will probably be there all day or until the sun goes down. I haven't decided if I will be wading or kayaking, so I am up for suggestions.

Robert Medina

Getting my gear ready for this Friday. Haven't decided if I will fish the Trophy Zone or not. I think I will, so that I can catch and release until I get that trophy. I am new to trout fishing. I've read some of the older posts but does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe something that has worked this season? Also, I am not sure if I want to wade or take the kayak. I will have a buddy with me and its his first time, so any suggestions are appreciated. Even tips on what to take, such as gear, tackle, etc.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
Since it's first time Keep it simple.
Bank or wade fish.
Learn the river a bit she can be a cruel one. Especially with the rains recent the water will be high and fast.
I recommend the lower end camp huaco or just north to start. Plenty of fish to get your feet wet with. I usually pull a trophy out of camp huaco every year.
Ultralight tackle is key. Trout have the best eyes in fresh water and will be line shy 9-10 times light line helps a lot. #4 triline is all I use.
Small small hooks and just enough weight to keep your offering in the lower water column or bumping bottom in the strike zone.
Roostertails,meps,crappie sized lures jigs etc. soft plastic worms in 3" work great.
Wade to get away from the crowds and fish same areas from across the river instead of bumping elbow to elbow. It's gotten very very popular the last couple years. To much so to fish with clients on a regular basis in the packed banks and river. so I'm not doing guided trips there this season. Just fishing myself with my wife and kids. So the whitebass and crappie have my attention this year.
Good luck fishing...

Robert Medina

Since it's first time Keep it simple.
Bank or wade fish.
Learn the river a bit she can be a cruel one. Especially with the rains recent the water will be high and fast.
I recommend the lower end camp huaco or just north to start. Plenty of fish to get your feet wet with. I usually pull a trophy out of camp huaco every year.
Ultralight tackle is key. Trout have the best eyes in fresh water and will be line shy 9-10 times light line helps a lot. #4 triline is all I use.
Small small hooks and just enough weight to keep your offering in the lower water column or bumping bottom in the strike zone.
Roostertails,meps,crappie sized lures jigs etc. soft plastic worms in 3" work great.
Wade to get away from the crowds and fish same areas from across the river instead of bumping elbow to elbow. It's gotten very very popular the last couple years. To much so to fish with clients on a regular basis in the packed banks and river. so I'm not doing guided trips there this season. Just fishing myself with my wife and kids. So the whitebass and crappie have my attention this year.
Good luck fishing...
Thank you @Fishmaster150 Think i'm gonna take your advice and stick to wading. Hopefully it won't be too packed

I just stopped by Academy and picked up some #8 & #10 Treble hooks, some floating bait and what I am most excited about a 1/4oz Rooster tail (off brand). I have not seen anything above a 1/8oz so I may see how it does with a baitcaster. I'm freaking pumped, probably going to hit Camp Hueco Springs on Sunday with the wife and kids. Let us know how you do tomorrow

Flow rates at 500+. I wouldn't try wade fishing the river this weekend unless they tone it down. I trout fish the trophy zone every year wading and it would be risky for me. Good luck if you head that way. I myself am keeping an eye on the flows because I have lures that need wetting.

Fishmaster150

Moderator/pro staff "AnytimeOutdoors"
Staff member
The guad is flowing into canyon at a good rate still. Another few days and it should slow a bit.
Be safe. That river like any other can be very very deceiving.

Robert Medina

I called this morning and was told it was flowing at 408cfs. I even asked the lady if it was safe for wading and she said sure. Even gave me all the info I needed on when the hatchery will be there and where they put in. I hope she is right lol

I went for an hour today. I think I need a Trout Yoda. I cannot keep from getting broken off on the bottom. Very frustrating. Also, had a poor line to line connection and paid some stupid tax on losing my new roostertail