Wake Up!!

MJ21

I literally had a conversation last night about selling my boat since I have yet to take it out. I want a shallow bay boat to get into some skinny water. Told the wife my plans and she stomped on my dreams. She brought up a good point, it would cost me around $50-$70K for a new boat. She said I would be stupid to get rid of it. I did tell her I would comprise and buy a Hobie Pro Angler since I can’t buy a new boat.

WD40

MJ - Since you're saving all that money, does that mean you can get me Hobie Pro too?

Seriously, still need a hand with your boat or trailer? Did you ever figure out the oxidation problem?

MJ21

Funny thing is she won’t even let me buy a Hobie. I can’t win either way. Selling the boat and buying a Howie puts $7K in my pocket. She won’t let me spend money nor make money. She really knows how to crush dreams! LOL

Haven’t touched the boat at all. I want to change out the impeller but I’ve been busy on the weekends. I’ll get to it soon

MJ21

I was trying to work on the boat this weekend. Went on base, brought it home, and charged the batteries. Installed them today only to hear clicking noise. Turns out the batteries were bad. Next week, gonna get another starter battery and try again. Just want to run it for a little bit, put some Sea Foam the engine to clear up some gunk, then go from there.

MJ21

I actually started it back in September. Left a solar panel trickle charge on it while in storage. I must admit, it is an older battery, it was time to change it out

2W2X1

1 is none and 2 is one! Make sure you have a jump pack on board if running a single battery.

Best of luck getting the boat back 100%.

WD40

Learned my lesson years ago when I first got my current boat.

Drove about 50 miles to our favorite spot on the lake to do the engine break-in as the factory guy specified. Launched the boat and when I tried the start the outboard it was a no-go. Cranking battery was also the power source of all electronics, pumps, lights, etc. on the boat. Found out one of the dry storage compartment lights compartment had been left on for who knows how long.

Anyway, ended up disconnecting one of the trolling motor batteries from the front end, drug it to the stern, and swapped cables from the weak battery. Got the motor started and swapped the batteries again so the cranking battery could charge off the engine alternator.
Went ahead with the 1 1/2 hour various speed break in for the outboard and called it a day.

Since that day I have carried jumper cables on the boat at all time. Also added a fourth battery to run the pumps and all other electrical stuff on board. Now my cranking battery only has one job, and it seems happy with that.

I've used the jumper cable on three or four occasions to help folks with weak or dead batteries get going again. To me, that's easier than towing them all the way back to the dock.

And that, my friends, is my $.02 for the day.