Welcome to San Antonio Fishing Forums Everyone.

Well guys, many of you may be branching off from TFF, to the new, more local; to us, San Antonio Fishing Forums. We issue you a warm welcome and please feel free to feel welcome here. As many of you know, we are all avid creek and pond anglers since we don't have many trophy lakes. Hopefully this forum can establish a solid community and we welcome each and every visitor. If any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

nherrera_ce

Kayak Anyone?
Joined from TFF, my biggest pet peeve is people not catching and releasing from these small ponds and creeks we all rely on for our fishing fix. There just isn't enough water and fish for everyone in SA to keep their catch. Please encourage catch and release and going to HEB for your stomach's needs. Just my two cents.

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to SAFF .I have seen few such people around the community and have been asking them to practice catch and release instead of bagging them. Hopefully we will be able to create such environment through SAFF soon in future.

Andy

Really, it is up to all of us to get the Wildlife and Game to spread the wealth. I have come across some of the guys who release different species in waters over San Antonio and while they are mostly great guys to talk to, they do not hide the fact that they release in certain lakes and ponds because it is their favorite spots for them and their families (yes I have been told this by them many times). I asked them, instead of dropping 899 catfish in one location every two weeks like at millers pond, to instead drop 400 there every two weeks, drop 100 at live oak, drop another 100 on the westside, and 99 in the San Antonio River every two weeks, same with Bass. This gives better opportunities for people to catch fish, not just some guys like I have seen that go way beyond their limit at night at Miller hauling up to 40+ fish to their cars every night. Think of it, this can be done rotating every two weeks to other places as well, it gives everyone a chance to catch fish and gives the fish a better chance to at least grow some. Catch and release is great and I do it all the time, but always catching and releasing is NOT fishing, thats just what I call teasing. Now for those who like to just catch and release, I take photos before I let them go so I have a great memory of that fish, I have even started video taping the fight! Its actually quite entertaining to watch later that night!

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Miller's pond is more about catching and keeping i guess i have seen people keeping cat's which they are suppose to release back in water . I haven't got lucky enough to catch anything at Millers pond yet tried few times there but was fail . Other spots wherever i fish i love to catch em take their pictures and release them back in water . I don't keep them unless i visit bigger lakes like Calaveras where you find big ones and are good enough to bring them home .

Andy

At millers pond, you have to have a big rod and throw way into the middle of the pond. I use an 808 rod and reel. I usually use catfish bait and have usually good luck bringing out 6-8lb cats. I have pulled in to the shoreline two cats that were at least 3 1/2 feet long and busted my 20lb line like it was a 4lb line. I did Calaveras but it was a bust for me, I caught two cats about 1 foot long and threw back, didnt even take a pic. I had better luck at smaller ponds around town. Wish I could of caught a red or two but they were not anywhere around, even the boats were having a hard time downrigging.

George R

Fishing with dynamite
Hey guys - here from TFF too! I've been amateur fishing around here for awhile, but my trips are few and far between. :( Getting out more this year!

Andy

Welcome George! We hope you get more fishing in this year too and make sure you post any good info to pass on to us other amateur fishermen about any San Antonio waters cuz we're all in the same boat! :crazy:

Carol

Hi Everyone,
I'm Carol the latest member to SAFF. My son who is also a member recommend your forum. I use to fish with my family when I was growing up. I am from San Antonio and we would on occasion fish at Cayon Lake, SA River, Flying K, Flying l, and the coast. Rock Port, Corpus and Galveston. Never fished off a boat.

Now my son is hooked and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it big time. My hubby and I joined him this past Saturday. He's posted his catch in this forum, his name is Mario. I caught 8 or nine, with 3 making un escape. We released after pics. I'll post as I learn how to use the site and learn more about fishing in time. One thing I learned today was when releasing the fish, let them go into the water nose first. They have a better chance of surviving when the water fills their mouth.

Thank you all for sharing. I will reciprocate as much as I can. Carol

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to SAFF Carol nice to have you around here :) Mario did mentioned about you joining to forum earlier today . Hopefully we will be meeting soon enough and do some fishing .

Hello everyone I am new to the group and I am just getting back into fishing. So far my wife and I have spent the last three weekends at Lake Calaveras but no luck yet. I hope to get some med/hev gear soon as we are fishing from the bank. I look forward to posting some photos and reports as soon as we have some luck.

I look forward to meeting and fishing with you all.

James